Section 504

  • Section 504 is a civil right law (not a special education law) that protects the rights of individuals with disabilities in programs and activities that receive federal financial assistance.

    This law requires that the district provide written assurances of non-discrimination, designate a district-level 504 coordinator (the executive director of Special Services), provide non-discrimination notice to students and parents, identify and locate qualified children with disabilities, and provide parents or guardians with procedural safeguards and grievance procedures.

    The definition of a disability under Section 504 is broadly expressed as a physical or mental condition that substantially limits a major life activity.

    The school counselor in each building is the Section 504 contact.

Parent and Student Rights Under Section 504/ADA

  • The following is a description of student and parent rights granted by federal law.  The intent of the law is to keep you fully informed concerning decisions about your child and to inform you of your rights if you disagree with any of these decisions. 

    You Have the Right To:

    1. Have your child take part in and receive benefits from public education programs without discrimination based on a disability.
    2. Have the school advise you of your rights under federal law.
    3. Receive notice with respect to Section 504 identification, evaluation or placement of your child.
    4.  Have your child receive a free appropriate public education (FAPE).  This includes the right to be educated with other students to the maximum extent appropriate.  It also includes the right to have the school make reasonable accommodations to allow your child an equal opportunity to participate in school and school-related activities.
    5. Have your child educated in facilities and receive services comparable to those provided students without disabilities.
    6. Have your child receive special education and related services if she/he is found to be eligible under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) (PL 101-476), or to receive reasonable accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
    7. Have evaluation, educational, and placement decisions made based upon a variety of information sources, and by individuals who know the student, disability, evaluation data, and placement options. Parents of a child with a disability have a responsibility of providing the school district with access to information regarding the child with a disability.
    8. Have transportation provided to a school placement setting at no greater cost to you than would be incurred if the student were placed in a program operated by the school district.
    9. Give your child an equal opportunity to participate in non-academic and extracurricular activities offered by the school district.
    10. Examine all relevant records relating to decisions regarding your child’s identification, evaluation, educational program, and placement.
    11. Request amendment of your child’s educational records if there is reasonable cause to believe they are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of your child’s privacy rights.
    12. File a local grievance with your school district if you feel your child is being discriminated against because of their disability.  If not satisfied with local hearing, a Notice of Appeal may be filed in accordance with the Hickman Mills C 1 School  District Section 504 Grievance Procedures.
    13. Contact the Office of Civil Rights or other agencies.

    The designated building Section 504 Coordinator for your child is the building counselor                                                                                                                                           

    The designated district Section 504 Coordinator is:
    Dr. Carl Skinner, Deputy Superintendent of Academic Services
    Hickman Mills C 1 School District
    Administration Center
    5401 E 103rd St, Kansas City, MO 64137
    Phone: (816) 316-7052
    Fax: (816) 316-7077