Board of Education Ethics
Members of the Hickman Mills C-1 Board of Education accept the responsibility to improve public education in the Hickman Mills C-1 School District.
To that end, all Board Members will:
- Remember that the first and greatest concern must be the educational welfare of all students attending the public schools.
- Obey the laws of Missouri and the United States.
- Recognize that individual Board members have no authority to speak or act for the Board.
- Work with other Board members to establish effective Board policies.
- Delegate authority for the administration of the schools to the superintendent.
- Encourage ongoing communications between Board members and stakeholders.
- Render all decisions based on the available facts and independent judgment rather than succumbing to the influence of individuals or special interest groups.
- Make every effort to attend all Board meetings.
- Become informed concerning the issues to be considered at each meeting.
- Improve boardmanship by studying educational issues and by participating in in-service programs and training.
- Support the employment of staff members based on qualifications and not as a result of influence.
- Maintain a process of regular and systematic assessment of the educational system, in order to provide accountability for the school district.
- Avoid conflicts of interest or the appearance thereof.
- Refrain from using their Board position for the benefit of family members, business associates or themselves.
- Express personal opinions but, once the Board has acted, accept the will of the majority.
- Refrain from divulging confidential information presented during closed sessions, except when required by law.