Summer Parent Letter
Dear Millennium Family,
The staff of Millennium at Santa Fe and I want to thank you for a wonderful year! We have enjoyed working with your children and are enormously proud of the gains they have made. I hope that your summer is off to a great start. Summer can be the best time of year to spend quality time with family and friends and forget about school for a while. I hope that over the summer students are continuing to read daily. All students should have received a selection of books to read over the summer.
While I enjoy the slower pace of summer, I worry about what researchers call the “summer slide”. It is a well-researched and documented fact that many children lose skills over the summer. It can take weeks or even months to review concepts with some children. This obviously has an impact on a child’s ability to grow academically. I am not asking people to do school work over the summer, but there are some easy things you can do to help your child.
- Read every day.
- Take your child to the library. To learn more about the Mid-Continent Public: Library Summer Library Program (SLP 2022: Oceans of Possibilities) you can visit mymcpl.org/Splash. Here you will find more details about the program, as well as tips and suggestions for reading 20 minutes a day.
- Encourage your child to read independently every day.
- Choose a book to read with your child over the summer.
- Write every day.
- Have your child keep a journal about his/her summer experience.
- Write to a friend.
- Practice math facts.
- If you like to play card games, there are many that are a great way to use math in real life situations.
- Get a head start on next year’s facts. First and second grade work on addition and subtraction. Third grade adds, multiply and divide. Fourth grade work with fractions and compare decimals. Fifth grade measures volume and multiply and divide fractions.
- Do some science projects
- There are some crazy fun science projects for kids. Google is your best friend here or get a book of experiments from the library.
- Play games together
- Family Fun Night is one of my favorite activities. You can do puzzles or board games. Almost every board game incorporates reading, math and/or strategic thinking.
Enrollment for the 2022-2023 school year is now open. If you have not already submitted your application, please do so as soon as possible. Visit the Hickman Mills Enrollment Site
I will be in the office starting July 11, 2022. I plan on spending my summer by spending as much time as possible with family and friends. I have several books I want to read and I will take some time to work on sewing projects.
I am honored to be the principal of Millennium at Santa Fe and excited about the upcoming school year. I await your return in August. K-2nd students will return to school on Monday, August 22, 2022 and 3-5th students will begin on Tuesday, August 23, 2022. Until then, have a safe and enjoyable summer with family and friends.
Dr. Michelle McDaniel